Our department was first organized in 1944 as a Civil Defense Firefighting unit, and became incorporated as the Upper Saddle River Fire Department in 1945. Our first piece of equipment was an old Navy 500 gpm Hale pump mounted on a trailer which was pulled to fires by a members army jeep. Eventually, the members purchased an old International truck and installed the aforementioned Hale pump midship. We then mounted an old FDNY American LaFrance body to the rear. Approximately two years later, the members purchased a US Army crash truck which had a front mounted 250 gpm pump and a 500 gallon water tank. Many other pieces were purchased and since retired, leaving the USRFD today with four modern pieces of firefighting apparatus. The Saddle River Fire Department was responsible for all fire protection in our municipality through December 31, 1949 at the annual cost of $500 per year.
Currently, the USRFD operates four primary pieces of apparatu and two chiefs vehicles.
Check out our Apparatus page for photos of many of our retired equipment.