Fire Chief Safety Tip of the Month from Chief Erik Vierheilig
This month we feature carbon monoxide safety tips. In the month of April, the USRFD responded to 16 calls for service, four of which were carbon monoxide calls. In the past two days we responded to two more, one of which could have been deadly had the resident not had a carbon monoxide detector. The USRFD stresses the importance of installing and testing carbon monoxide detectors in the home.
Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide. Here are some helpful hints to keep you and the family safe in your home.