At 6:32, the USRFD was dispatched to a home on East Saddle River Road for a brush fire. Chief Vierheilig, Asst Chief Rauch, Engine 1232 (FF JJ Levine) and Engine 1231 (FF Hoffman) responded. Crews used the booster line to extinguish the fire. Once clear all units packed up and returned to HQ.
Today, members of the USRFD in conjunction with USRVAC , Allendale FD PD and EMS, Saddle River FD, HHK FD and EMS and Valley MICU conducted a pre-prom mock fatal accident demonstration for the junior and senior students of Northern Highlands HS. USRFD members worked with AFD personnel to extricate a patient from one of the three vehicles. Great job by all who worked quick, efficient, and safe! Pictures from left to right: Lt LJ Lupinacci, Chief Erik Vierheilig, FF Joe Torres, Jr FF Greg Pink, and FF Andrew Dina.
Fire Chief Safety Tip of the Month from Chief Erik Vierheilig
This month we feature smoke detector safety tips. With daylight savings time coming tomorrow, the USRFD urges residents to change their smoke detector batteries in their home, as well as change the backup battery in their carbon monoxide detector.
There are times when our crew is doing an investigation at a home that we find smoke detectors that are missing. We’ve all experienced it… Low battery chirp at 2am. Smoke from a culinary disaster setting off the detector near the kitchen. Smoke from the fireplace when you forget to open the flue. Its important to not remove or disconnect the detector when it activates.
Smoke alarms save lives. If there is a fire in your home, smoke spreads fast and you need smoke alarms to give you time to get out. Having a working smoke alarm cuts the chances of dying in a reported fire in half. Almost two-thirds of home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
Did you know?
In 2007-2011, smoke alarms sounded in half of the home fires reported to U.S. fire departments. Three of every five home fire deaths resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms and no smoke alarms were present in more than one-third (37%) of the home fire deaths.
So this weekend, be sure to go to the store, grab a couple 9 volts, and take 10 minutes to change those batteries. Test your smoke alarms every month and remember that when a smoke alarm sounds, get outside and stay outside. Lastly, be sure to replace all smoke alarms in your home every 10 years.
Should you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or my office at 201.327.0285 . Thank you and be safe.
Yesterday at 8:19am, the USRFD USRPD and USRVAC were dispatched to a vehicle vs utility pole on Ripplewood Drive. Chief Vierheilig (IC), Rescue 1242 (OIC Lt Lupinacci) and Engine 1232 (OIC FF Moss) responded. Crews contained the fluid spill and secured the vehicle while the VAC personnel tended to the patient. The scene was left to O & R to stabilize the damaged pole so the vehicle could be safely removed. Once clear all units returned.
At 9:07am, the USRFD was dispatched along with the USRPD and USRVAC to a reported car into a building with a major gas leak on Park Way. Chief Vierheilig (IC) arrived on scene to find no structural damage but a broken high pressure regulator on the exterior of the building. Asst Chief Rauch (Ops), Engine 1232 (OIC FF Moss) and Tanker 1233 (OIC Capt Sklar) arrived and while the building and neighboring building were being evacuated, as safe zone was established. PSEG crews arrived and turned off the gas and fire crews throughly checked the interior. Once clear, all employees were allowed back in, all fire units cleared the scene, and returned to HQ.
At 9:45pm on March 9th, the USRFD was dispatched to a reported car fire in the driveway of a home on Pine Hill Drive. Chief Vierheilig arrived on scene moments later to find a fully involved vehicle fire in close proximity to the home. Asst Chief Rauch arrived and took Ops followed by Engine 1232 (OIC Lt Lupinacci). The crew pulled a handline and quickly extinguished the fire before it had the opportunity to extend to the home. Engine 1231 (OIC Capt Sklar) and Tanker 1233 (OIC Lt Bach) also responded and their crews performed overhaul as well as checked the house for extension. Once packed up, all units returned to HQ. Great job by all on scene.
At 8:51pm on March 2nd, the USRFD was dispatched mutual aid to Saddle River for an electrical fire with extension in the wall in a home on Twin Brooks Road. Chief Vierheilig (Car 1230) and Tanker 1233 (OIC LT Lupinacci) responded, along with mutual aid companies from Waldwick, HoHoKus and Allendale. Crews quickly knocked down the fire and performed overhaul. Units were released about an hour after dispatch. Great job SRFD on the quick knock.
Today at approximately 0650 hours the Upper Saddle River Fire Department was requested on State Route 17 North to assist with a motor vehicle crash involving a vehicle off the roadway leaking fluid. Chief Vierheilig along with Rescue 1242 and Engine 1232 responded. While on scene it was determined that a small amount of fluid had entered a nearby storm drain prior to FD arrival. Mahwah Fire Co. 2 Haz-Mat Team was requested to assist in the clean up of the fluid.
On Saturday February 21, at 7:17 pm, the USRFD was dispatched along with USRPD and USRVAC to a rollover at the intersection of Lake St and East Saddle River Rd. Chief Vierheilig (IC), Asst Chief Rauch (Ops), Rescue 1242 (OIC FF Bertollo), and Engine 1231 (OIC FF Levine) responded. Units arrived on scene to find a small box truck on its side with a fluid spill and the driver self extricated. Crews immediately contained the spill and secured the vehicle. The truck was uprighted by the heavy wrecker and all involved vehicles removed from the scene shortly thereafter and all units returned. Great job by all working in poor weather conditions to safely operate on the scene.
Fire Chief Safety Tip of the Month from Chief Erik Vierheilig
Beginning this month, I will bring you monthly safety tips as they relate to the season. This month we feature carbon monoxide safety tips. The USRFD responds to many carbon monoxide calls throughout the year, but the call volume increases in the winter months. Although the popularity of carbon monoxide (CO) alarms has been growing in recent years, it cannot be assumed that everyone is familiar with the hazards of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.
Often called the invisible killer, carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.
Did you know?…
The dangers of CO exposure depend on a number of variables, including the victim’s health and activity level. Infants, pregnant women, and people with physical conditions that limit their body’s ability to use oxygen (i.e. emphysema, asthma, heart disease) can be more severely affected by lower concentrations of CO than healthy adults would be. A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.
Its extremely important to stress the importance of not only installing carbon monoxide detectors throughout the home but to also ensure that they are operational and tested monthly. If a detector activates, call 9-1-1 immediately and evacuate the home to await the arrival of the fire department to check the home with our meters.
Should you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com . Thank you and be safe.
Today, the USRFD was dispatched to two calls, both to the same building on Park Way. The first came in during the afternoon for a reported heavy amount of water flowing from a sprinkler pipe above a parking area ceiling. Chief Vierheilig (IC) , Asst Chief Rauch (Ops) and Engine 1231 (OIC FF Roberts) responded and crews shut down the sprinkler system. At about 7:30pm, the FD was dispatched back to the building for another fire alarm activation. Crews checked the building to find the cause was from an alarm malfunction. Great job by the USRFD volunteers!
Kidde recalls 5 million disposable extinguishers. Be sure to check to see if your home extinguisher is listed.